Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sweet Dreams Are Made of These...


I had the pleasure of meeting musician/songwriter Dave Stewart yesterday who appears at Ravinia on August 29. People may know him as half of famed group the Eurythmics, which busted out hits such as “Here Comes the Rain Again,” “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” and “Would I Lie to You,” among others, but I had no idea the number of songs and artists he has collaborated with over the years until I heard him tell the stories behind his hits.

Who knew that Stevie Nicks was the inspiration behind the hit “Don’t Come Around Here No More,” which Tom Petty crooned in the ‘80s. Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, Bono, Jon Bon Jovi, Celine Dion, No Doubt and Sinead O’Connor, these are just a sample of musicians that he’s created songs for and the list goes on and on.

But one of the coolest moments I have to say was when Dave brought out his laptop to show me a video (which is set to be released in a couple weeks) for his new song which he recently wrote with Bono entitled “American Prayer.” The video, which supports Barack Obama, included celebrities singing along with the chorus such as Cyndi Lauper, Oprah, Macy Gray, Whoopi Goldberg and Margaret Cho among others. He asked me who else in Chicago would like to be a part of this video and I started listing off names of the first celebrities to come to mind, all the while hoping that he would ask me to be in it, hey a girl can dream, right? After a TV interview, Dave even got CBS reporter Bill Zwecker to tape a segment for the video.

Dave, I had fun yesterday, good luck with this tour, we can’t wait to have you back to perform. Did I mention that I sing back-up?

Amy Schrage
Associate Director of Communications

No comments: